Translate

Environmental Conservation & Self-Determination at Votua Village; the Coral Coast





I stopped by the nearby Votua Village which I heard has much more advanced environmental conservation programs than the village I stayed at and two of very few Fijian-owned businesses, Vilisites Restaurant and Mike’s Dive Shop. You can find the former by searching for Coral Coast attractions or restaurants at www.frommers.com You can learn more about the latter at http://www.divingfinder.com/Scuba_Diving/Oceania/Fiji/Mike_s_Divers and read an interesting chat debate about it on www.lonelyplanet.com.

Next trip, I want to stay at Votua Village to take full advantage of their opportunities and learn more. On this trip, I learned more about environmental conservation in Fiji from the Jean Michele Cousteau Resort, visited when I left Namatakula, & from the Tui Tai Cruise's slide show, which I've included a couple of shots from here. Victor Bonito, heads several environmental projects in Votua Village. He was hosting some environmental scientists from a university in the states when we unsuccessfully tried to meet up.

In any case, I've included some photos of the Coral Coast, which Simon drove along to get me there & everywhere else. Besides containing most of the resorts in Fiji, some beautiful scenery of rainforest mountains and practically empty beachfronts, it has just 2 paved roads which circle the island: Queen's Road & King's Road. We passed loose horses a number of times, feeding on the grass along the road. Simon said they return to their homes in the evening. I'm not sure why I was so surprised by this. Many people are shocked that I let my pets outside yet they always stay near our home & come back in at appropiate times.

No comments:

Post a Comment