Translate

Summary of Original Fijian Plans in March 2009



Due to too many questionable issues with the founder & director of the Institute for Cultural Ecology below, I was given permission & even encouraged by the Dodge Foundation to change my initial plans. I almost even changed my destination a few times but thank God I didn't. Here is what I planned to do at first:

Shorter Version: My Geraldine Dodge Teacher fellowship is paying for an internship with the Institute of Cultural Ecology to Fiji for six weeks where I'll stay with Fijians, gaining a hands on education about the unique and traditional Fijian culture, coral reefs, and the cultural ecology linking them! After becoming a licensed scuba diver, while helping marine scientists, fishermen, and other divers map the reef near the village, I will be part of ReefCheck, an international volunteer survey tracking global trends in the endangered coral reef crisis, helping to collect information on the abundance and diversity of coral species, publicizing their significance, and helping establish a long-term coral reef monitoring and protection program at these sites which also safeguards local villagers' livelihood and sustainability since reef fish are a staple part of their diet and fishing their main livelihood. There'll even be opportunities to go on ecological or cultural fieldtrips! Interns can learn new skills & participate in reforestation projects, rainforest trekking, cultural lessons…

I'm a passionate naturalist and environmentalist for those who don't know and can't already tell. Coral reefs are the second most diverse ecosystem in the world and have been the model for some of the most important work in ecology. They are economically valuable as a source of food and compounds that can be used as drugs; they also protect the coast from wave erosion during storms. Coral islands and their white sand beaches attract millions of tourists while many of the world's twenty million scuba enthusiasts travel in search of colorful corals and large reef fish. Coral reefs are the largest biological structures on earth and may be viewed from space! Yet, despite their importance, little has been done to understand how coral reef organisms respond to human activities.

I plan to document my personal and professional growth during and after this experience through a travel blog also used to persuade people to help save endangered coral reefs. I've fallen in love with blogging since I established one last summer in response to my experiences at the Artist-Teacher Institute (thanks also to the Geraldine Dodge Foundation)! Speaking of that life-altering gift, I would be dying to use my photos taken to paint some of the beautiful scenery that exists in the tropical paradise there! I have invested in photography and more oil painting workshops plus a worthwhile camera (finally) to prepare for this one! Attempts to have my photos and paintings exhibited in as many shows, art galleries, and museums as possible would follow. These things will be shared with art majors in my school plus others in and outside of my school district…Last but not least, with the aide of TV Production majors at Arts High where I teach, I'm even more thrilled at the prospect of applying my TV production skills learned in a workshop a couple of years ago towards producing my own documentary which would air on local cable stations, if not greater places!

No comments:

Post a Comment